Taj on Swan super block auction cancelled at the last minute

The infamous Taj on Swan was subdivided into six blocks but failed to attract buyers. The whole block was set to be auctioned on May 27.
The infamous Taj on Swan was subdivided into six blocks but failed to attract buyers. The whole block was set to be auctioned on May 27.

TOMORROW’S auction of the Taj on Swan super block in Peppermint Grove has been cancelled at the 11th hour.

After initial speculation the 6582sq m block had been sold, LJ Hooker agent Viven Yap confirmed the auction would not take place and she was in the process of negotiating.

In April, the Western Suburbs Weekly broke the story that the controversial site would be auctioned on May 27, after Ms Yap said there had not been enough genuine interest from buyers.

The block has stood vacant since October, when the partly built $70 million mansion was demolished after a six-year battle between owners Radhika and Pankaj Oswal and the Australian Taxation Office.

When it did not sell for its $20 million asking price it was subdivided into six lots earlier this year, with asking prices from $3.9 million to $4.2 million.

A Bay View Terrace resident who has followed the superblock saga for years said he hoped the block would be sold soon.

“It would be nice to see houses back there, instead of the unsightly mansion that was totally out of character for our neighbourhood,” he said.

“If it’s sold privately that’s all well and good, but we’d like to see something that suits the character of the area, back in place as it was before and always should be.”

MORE: St John of God Midland Public Hospital chalks up milestones in first 18 months

MORE: Boomerang Bags: residents getting back at plastic

MORE: Soccer used to foster positive relationships between youth and police