CLAREMONT Mayor Jock Barker has written to the more than 1000 Claremont property owners who do not currently have underground power asking for their views on a proposal to complete the installation of underground power in their areas.
The last section of underground power in the Town of Claremont was completed 15 years ago.
Since then, the Town has submitted three separate proposals to the State Government for funding that have been unsuccessful.
The remaining parts of Claremont not serviced by underground power are in the northeast of the Town.
Mr Barker said good financial management positioned the Town to invest in the project without having an unsustainable impact on future budgets.
The cost to complete the project will be about $10 million.
The council has committed to a similar funding plan as that used for other areas of Claremont, which will involve the Town funding two thirds of the cost using a combination of reserve funding and a loan while property owners pay the other third.
Town staff estimate the total cost per residential property will not exceed $4000.
Mr Barker said the final costings “aren’t settled yet” and council will decide if there might be a “discounted cost for units in multi-unit developments and perhaps a higher cost for a commercial property”.
An option to make payment by instalments will be offered to property owners.
“The project still requires final council approval, but it will only be considered for approval if the Town receives a minimum of 50 per cent of surveys returned and a minimum of 50 per cent of those must be in support of the project,” Mr Barker said.
“The decision is to a very large degree resting in the hands of the residents of the project area. They need to get involved or this opportunity could be lost forever.”
Property owners have been urged to have their say either by returning the hardcopy of the survey or online on at Your Community Your Say section on the Town’s website by June 19.