NORTH Cottesloe Surf Life Saving Club scooped a trifecta of awards at Surf Life Saving WA’s annual Awards of Excellence.
Kate Bonner was named the Support Operations Volunteer of the Year, Domenic Cowdell Trainer of the Year and the club itself finished runner-up in the coveted Lavan Club of the Year Awards.
North Cottesloe finished just behind Denmark SLSC for the award, which ‘recognises and encourages outstanding achievements in club development that results in surf life saving clubs providing safer beaches for the community.’
Bonner’s award was for her frontline role in her first year as part of the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter crew, where she took part in 38 patrols.
Cowdell was acknowledged for his dedication to teaching the technical aspects of surf life saving.
“It’s nice to get recognised,” he said. It’s recognition of the time and effort I have put in, from my peers.”
Surf Life Saving WA said Cowdell was an asset to the surf life saving community.
“Domenic works hard at a club and state level to improve member training, and we are very grateful for his dedication,” his award citation read.
North Cottesloe’s result was an improvement from last year, when it took home Patrol Club of the Year but had not collected any individual titles.
The club’s own annual awards night was held just before the State Awards of Excellence.
The Bendat Basketball Centre was packed for the occasion with over 200 members, sponsors and affiliates.
Club general manager Rick Smith said the awards dinner recognised the contributions club members made to surf life saving activities, as well as celebrating the end of the summer season and participation in the recent Australian Surf Life Saving Championships at Scarborough Beach.
“Congratulations to all our award winners, we are proud to recognise their achievements especially Sophie Hogan to win a gold at Nationals,” he said.
“We are lucky to be supported by a large membership base, dedicated volunteers and generous sponsors, to enable us to maintain a safe beach for all to enjoy.”
North Cottesloe 2017/18 Club Award recipients:
- Junior Athlete of the Year – Bella Poll
- Junior Club Member of the Year – Georgia Gillibrand
- Junior Patrol Member of the Year – Isabella Johansson
- Cadet AGM of the Year – Samantha Harvey
- AGM of the Year – Sandy Harvey
- Trainer of the Year – Sam Elias
- Assessor of the Year – Domenic Cowdell
- Official of the Year – Jane Ponsonby
- Coach of the Year – Brendan Downes
- Patrol Member of the Year – Mark Anderson
- Patrol Captain of the Year – Campbell Shaw
- Athlete of the Year – Sophie Hogan
- Lifesaver of the Year – Jasmine Lamb
- Club member of the Year – Claire Jordan
- Life Member Appointees – Cliff Ford & Nicholas Rea
- Team of the Year – under-23 Women’s Surf Boat Crew “Resolute” – Mackenzie Huggins, Jessamy Burton, Katarina Welborn, Emily Wray, Macca McDermott