MIRRABOOKA sports fans will have direct access to a major stadium for the first time as part of the launch of nine bus routes travelling to Perth Stadium.
Transport Minister Rita Saffioti announced the Game Changer campaign last month, which encouraged event goers to use public transport to the stadium.
Buses will support the train services at Perth Stadium Train Station and East Perth Station by shuttle services and services to suburbs not located near a train line, including Mirrabooka, Morley and Karrinyup.
There will be a 22-stand bus station located within metres of the stadium’s entrance.
Public Transport Authority spokesman David Hynes said Mirrabooka’s route 652 would begin operating as a special event bus service for the One Day International cricket event at Optus Stadium on January 28.
“It will operate on major event days (with crowds exceeding 30,000), and will start running two hours prior to the start of an event, roughly every 5-10 minutes,” he said.
“Transperth travel is included in every ticket to events at the Perth Stadium – there is no need to buy a ticket, simply show your ticket to the driver or inspector to travel for no extra cost.”
Mirrabooka resident and former Swan Districts and Fremantle AFLW player Akec Makur Chuot said the route was “exciting” for the area because people struggled to get to Subiaco Oval to watch footy games.
Mirrabooka MLA Janine Freeman said the bus would be welcomed by the broader Mirrabooka community as the region currently had an “over-reliance” on cars.
“It is expected that more than 80 per cent of patrons will use public transport to get to events at the stadium,” she said.
SERVICE RUN DOWN:
– Armadale, Thornlie, Fremantle, Joondalup, Mandurah and Midland train lines will be adjusted to fit specific events
– 661: CBD shuttle operating to Elizabeth Quay Bus Station via Adelaide Terrace and St Georges Terrace
– 650: Karrinyup Bus Station via Innaloo
– 652: Mirrabooka Bus Station via Alexander Drive
– 653: Morley Bus Station via Beaufort Street
– 654: Ellenbrook Town Centre via Bassendean Train Station
– 656: Canning Vale via Bentley Plaza
– 657: Curtin University Bus Station
– 658: Hamilton Hill via Kardinya Park
– 659: Fremantle via Canning Highway